Reverse proxy with non-local virtualhosts

I'm trying to setup a reverse proxy that would route HTTP requests to the appropriate machines on different IP addresses

Unfortunately, but all the mod_proxy config information I've seen refers
to local paths on the machine running the proxy.

All the sites would have a DNS that points to the same external IP, which the Reverse Proxy box listens on. I'd like the reverse proxy to then use Host Headers to forward the request to the correct internal IP for that virtualhost.

What I'm looking for is something like this:

Ext. IP
123.123.123.123 ->  Apache |
                   Reverse |
                     Proxy |
                           | Machine 1
                           | -> 10.1.1.1 -> VirtualHost1.example.org
                           |             -> VirtualHost2.example.org
                           |             -> VirtualHost3.example.org
                           |
                           | Machine 2
                           | -> 10.1.1.2 -> VirtualHost4.example.org
                                         -> VirtualHost5.example.org
                                         -> VirtualHost6.example.org

Any pointers or a sample config would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Terry