Re: How to configure mod_dbd with MySQL on Apache 2.2

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 07:21, Nick Kew <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 7 Aug 2011, at 11:08, niklas@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> I find it a bit strange that it is so difficult to find information about
>> how to do this.
>> I want to configure my Apache2 to use mod_dbd when authenticating users.
>> But I cannot find any examples or good descriptions anywhere about how to
>> do this. How can I configure mod_dbd on my Apache-httpd installation?
> Um ... if you explain what's not clear about the authentication example at
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.3/mod/mod_authn_dbd.html
> (and similar pages) then maybe we could try and improve it?

The  first thing I notice is that that some of that info is missing in
the 2.2 docs which is where I've been looking.  In particular, this
paragraph is not in the 2.2 docs under the description for
"AuthDBDUserRealmQuery Directive":

<quote>
The encrypted password format depends on which authentication frontend
[sic] (e.g. mod_authn_basic or mod_authn_digest) is being used. See
Password Formats for more information.
</quote>

That is a very important link that I had not found, although from my
look at htdigest I was assuming most of the information. (And that
link should also add a Perl example.)

The second thing is that a Digest example is not shown for configuration.

Also, an example of an actual database table that satisfies the module
would be helpful.

Best regards,

-Tom