Sharing mod_proxy_balancer session data with multiple virtual hosts

I'm building a load balancer using apache. We have to support both SSl and non-SSL sessions and the problem I'm trying to solve is how to get both virtual hosts to share session data so that a when a connection is sent to the non-SSL port, it is proxied to the same server as the SSL session.

Here's a bit of httpd.conf. This one will correctly proxy SSL and non-SSL sessions but won't necessarily use the same server from the same client.

My fallback plan is to force SSL for everything which will overcome the difficulty, but I am interested in knowing if there is a way of sharing session data between virtual hosts.

Listen 160.5.xx.yy:80
Listen 160.5.xx.yy:443

<VirtualHost 160.5.xx.yy:80>
  ServerName zzzz.keele.ac.uk
  ServerAdmin j.knight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  CustomLog /var/log/httpd/logs/staff/access_log common
  ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/logs/staff/error_log
  LogLevel debug

  <Proxy balancer://staffcluster/>
    BalancerMember http://server1.keele.ac.uk
    BalancerMember http://server2.keele.ac.uk
  </Proxy>

  ProxyRequests off
  ProxyPreserveHost on
  ProxyPass /balancer-manager !
ProxyPass / balancer://staffcluster/ stickysession=JSESSIONID lbmethod=bybusyness
  ProxyPassReverse / balancer://staffcluster/

</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 160.5.xx.yy:443>
  ServerName zzzz.keele.ac.uk
  ServerAdmin j.knight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  CustomLog /var/log/httpd/logs/staff/access_log common
  ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/logs/staff/error_log
  LogLevel debug

  <Location /balancer-manager>
    SetHandler balancer-manager
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from 160.5.zz
  </Location>

  <Proxy balancer://staffcluster/>
    BalancerMember https://server1.keele.ac.uk
    BalancerMember https://server2.keele.ac.uk
  </Proxy>

  ProxyRequests off
  ProxyPreserveHost on
  ProxyPass /balancer-manager !
ProxyPass / balancer://staffcluster/ stickysession=JSESSIONID lbmethod=bybusyness
  ProxyPassReverse / balancer://staffcluster/

  SSLEngine on
  SSLProxyEngine on
# SSLCipherSuite ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL
  SSLCertificateFile /usr/local/apache2/conf/cert.crt
  SSLCertificateKeyFile /usr/local/apache2/conf/key.crt
  SSLCACertificateFile /usr/local/apache2/conf/cacert.crt

</VirtualHost>