Re: RewriteRule acts differently for different browsers

On 2011-07-25 20:45, James Moe wrote:

Hello,
   apache v2.0

   The reason for this redirection is that when I purchased the SSL
certificate, I did not know to get one for than the domain's URL,
<sohnen-moe.com>. A secure connection to<www.sohnen-moe.com>  brings up
the warning about a possibly "untrusted site."

You should not use rewriting for this, it is entirely unnecessary and only adds complexity. Instead, you add a new vhost for www.sohnen-moe.com, and do a blank redirect to HTTPS.

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} =www.sohnen-moe.com
RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ https://sohnen-moe.com/$1 [L,R]

  For the browsers Firefox v5 linux, Chrome v12.0 linux, Opera v11.5
linux, Semaonkey v2.1 os/2, Safari v5.0 windows, Internet Explorer v8, I
get different redirections for the URL<http://www.sohnen-moe.com/>.
   Firefox: http://sohnen-moe.com/////////////////////<--Not a typo!
    Chrome: https://sohnen-moe.com/
     Opera: http://www.sohnen-moe.com/
Seamonkey: http://www.sohnen-moe.com/
    Safari: http://www.sohnen-moe.com/
IExplorer: http://www.sohnen-moe.com/

   Only Chrome redirected like I thought the rule indicates.
   Is this to be expected? It seems rather arbitrary.

I suspect that the above is using the highly dubious VirtualHost * construct, which should die and burn in hell. If so, you are not taking into account the possibility that the request is coming in over HTTPS.
Add another rewritecond that checks for it.

--
J.