Re: Virtual Hosts on physical servers

On 19 juil. 2011, at 07:36, Patrick Proniewski wrote:

>> Patrick, Do you know of any examples on how to configure this?
>
> I'm going to take a look at my old config files, I've done that years ago, may be I've still some valuable pointers.

I was not able to find my old config files (10 years old...), but the setup should be:

proxy server:
- holds the public IP
- runs Apache with mod_proxy
- uses named virtual hosting to define www.example1.com, www.example2.com, ...
- each vhost uses mod_proxy to forward request to server1, server2, ...

The config should look like something like this:

<VirtualHost *>
	ServerName example1.com
	ServerAlias www.example1.com
	<IfModule proxy_module>
	   ProxyRequests Off
	   <Proxy *>
	      Order deny,allow
	      Allow from all
	   </Proxy>
	   ProxyPass / http://PRIVATE-IP-FOR-SERVER1
	   ProxyPassReverse / http://PRIVATE-IP-FOR-SERVER1
	</IfModule>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
	ServerName example2.com
	ServerAlias www.example2.com
	<IfModule proxy_module>
	   ProxyRequests Off
	   <Proxy *>
	      Order deny,allow
	      Allow from all
	   </Proxy>
	   ProxyPass / http://PRIVATE-IP-FOR-SERVER2
	   ProxyPassReverse / http://PRIVATE-IP-FOR-SERVER2
	</IfModule>
</VirtualHost>

and so on. Be careful, this config is not tested, I'm pretty sure required directives are missing. And you should definitively add good logging directives, because the proxy won't transmit the client IP to the final server.

server1, server2, ...:
- holds a private IP address
- runs Apache
- uses named virtual hosting to define *one* of www.example1.com, www.example2.com... as the default vhost

If you want more than one vhost per server, you'll need to add "ProxyPreserveHost On" to the proxy configuration.

Patrick PRONIEWSKI
--
Administrateur Système - DSI - Université Lumière Lyon 2