RE: Installing Subversion support for Apache

From: Yehuda Katz [mailto:yehuda@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:27 PM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Installing Subversion support for Apache

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Kevin Christensen <kschris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 6/20/2011 10:11 PM, Yehuda Katz wrote:

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Kevin Christensen <kschris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"httpd.exe: Syntax error on line 83 of C:/Program Files (x86)/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/conf/httpd.conf: LoadModule takes two arguments, a module name and the name of a shared object file to load it from"

The line the error specifically refers to is the following:

LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so

When I had a similar problem, in one case it was caused by non-printing characters in the middle of the line and in another by a bad line ending. Your line endings should be consistent (on my Windows servers I use CRLF).

Since you are on Windows, a program like Notepad++ can quickly help you find problems like that.

Not just notepad ++ in windows, but we can do the same in Linux as well though not through notepad++ . The good old vim (which is a part of most modern linux distribution and far more efficient than notepad++) can show that. Start vim like this.

                Vim –b <filename>

And it will show the non printable characters in your file. Then there is this versatile unix2dos and dos2unix which will convert the file endings accordingly. This is useful if you worked on files windows environment and then transferred it to Linux. This what most inexperienced in using  unix developer or sys admin (windows sys admin now forced to take care of *nix ) mostly do.

                HTH

                --ashwin