ROM target type

Hi all,

I've been looking for a way to run a bunch of DVD-ROM drives over a network/ethernet-connected system. The goal is to have the optical drives "off-board" of my main desktop running in a headless system, and be able to play and archive DVDs and BluRays remotely.

I've looked into AoE, iSCSI, and NBD, and found they are (at least in the opensource world) all designed only for disk-type targets, not for ROM-types.

Is it feasible to implement an AoE target module that would allow exporting CD/DVD/BluRay ROM drives to initiators? I'm not a kernel hacker by any stretch of the imagination.

Thanks,
Ben Klein