Re: Query on AoE initiator accessing target started locally over lo

On 08/17/2017 10:39 PM, Nivin Lawrence wrote:
__1)__Is all the code for AoE initiator/target located @ https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/block/aoe <http://%2522/>?____

No, that's the initiator for the Linux kernel, the most popular initiator.

The most popular open source target is the vblade. You can find it in the OpenAoE project on github.

__2)__Is it possible to cleanly stop the AoE target, ensuring the cache is written to disk and any cleanup needed is done?____

Yes, the steps would be:

  * On the initiator safely shut down each layer using
    the storage, from highest to lowest level.

    * E.g., umount, vgchange -a n ...

  * Run "sync" on the initiator

    There are some kernels (old, probably) that do not
    automatically sync on unmount.

  * Interrupt the networking that supports the AoE command stream

    This is just a paranoia step.  No AoE commands should be going
    out after you stop using the AoE target.

  * Run sync on the host running the target.

  * Kill vblade (assuming that's what it is) with SIGTERM.

  * Run sync on the target host again, for paranoia.

Now if the target is exporting a file on some underlying storage that needs to be quiesced or something, you'd have to quiesce it, but that seems unlikely.

More comments follow quotes below.

__3)__I have a use case where I need to use AoE over network initially, but later stop the remote target, restart target locally on loopback interface. The storage that is accessed in both cases is the same, so no issues with data being in sync. I have a few clarification requests in this regard:____

That's confusing me. Can you be really concrete, like with hostnames, network interface names, and network switch names and ports, etc.?

__a.__Wanted to understand if the AoE model has specific optimizations done to make this as close as possible to a regular local disk access.____

The biggest optimization you can take advantage of is fast networking with jumbo (e.g., 9000 MTU at all network endpoints) packets.

__c.__Do you think further optimizations are theoretically possible to take care of this specific scenario to make it just like a regular local disk access?____

If you search the archives you can find repeated but infrequent posts about a performance problem that can occur when the alignment of I/O requests on the initiator doesn't match the backing storage. Then you wind up doing extra I/O. You could look into that problem. It would be easier to use 40 GbE, though.

    4)__Is there a way to pause the initiator from trying to communicate
    with the target once it is decided that the target has to be shut
    and restarted locally?

You can pause the initiator by interrupting networking, e.g., by setting the AoE network interface(s) to a "down" state. The aoe initiator will retransmit commands until it gets a response. If aoe_deadsecs seconds elapse, though, the aoe driver will mark the device as down and fail all outstanding I/O requests, so you can set that to a large enough number of seconds to support the interruption.

__5)__For use of AoE in production, I was wondering if there would be any kind of metric which would help with details on the stability and availability expectations and any feedback from current usage in production.____

The code itself is stable and mature. Storage over networking has its pitfalls, whether it's enterprise stuff or something you put together with open source components. E.g., if your network switch has buggy firmware, you could have problems. The best way to gain confidence is to use it in systems where you can make mistakes and learn a use pattern that works for you.

--
  Ed