Re: vblade chs boundary warning

You might argue that people are more likely to read the logs than the
docs...but then, a lot of people read neither until something goes wrong.  But
maybe finding that message in the logs is more likely to happen when something
goes wrong, rather than "Hmm, something is wrong, I think I'll go look for
warnings in the docs."

But maybe that's just me. :)

On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 22:51:47 Ed Cashin wrote:
> Would you consider a pull request that includes an addition to the
documentation? That seems like a more appropriate place for a warning. On Feb
18, 2015 10:01 PM, Catalin Salgau <csalgau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > While I haven't gotten around to testing any of the "recent" changes, a
> > colleague finally tracked down one of our long-standing corruption
> > issues some time ago and I think I should suggest a change that might
> > help others.
> > WinAoE has some code in the GettingsSize state that truncates a disk to
> > CHS geometry. Prior to Vista, Windows enforced CHS alignment for
> > partition boundaries, so this was not a problem.
> > However, if you installed a newer OS (one using 1MB boundaries) then
> > moved it to AoE storage, truncating at a partition boundary could cause
> > sectors to be missing under WinAoE, corrupting your data. Windows
> > probably never actually relied on this behaviour, since it was enforcing
> > alignment itself.
> >
> > I would like to request a warning along the lines of (while the 512 byte
> > sector size is superfluous, I include it for clarity)
> > #define CHSALIGN 255*63*512
> > if ((size*512) % CHSALIGN) {
> >     vlong recsz = (size*512) + CHSALIGN - (size*512)%CHSALIGN;
> >     printf("Exported size (%llu) is not aligned to usual CHS
> > geometry.\n", size*512)
> >     printf("Consider truncating to %llu bytes to prevent issues.\n",
> > recsz); }
> > Please excuse the lack of a pull request.
> > I'll try getting back to the other changes I was proposing at a later
> > time.
> > Thanks!

Joshua J. Kugler - Fairbanks, Alaska
Azariah Enterprises - Programming and Website Design
joshua@xxxxxxxxxxx - Jabber: pedahzur@xxxxxxxxx
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0x73B13B6A