Re: further vblade bpf tweaking

On 15/06/2014 3:59 AM, Ed Cashin wrote:
> Regarding the idea of reordering the tests in BPF to minimize the number
> of tests---can you measure a performance difference?  If so, what do the
> tests and results look like?
>
> Thanks.

Largely negligible with usual hardware.
Since the bytecode is emulated or jitted to native code for execution, I
would reckon one would notice a difference in low-powered devices and on
10G links, where fast-fail would save precious cycles.
(and while we're on the subject of precious cycles, there is basically
duplicate code in aoe.c:aoe(void) after the call to getpkt(). except for
the size check and mac check, the others are found in the BPF bytecode)