Question about identify device ATA command in vblade

Can someone explain why the ATA command Identify Device (0xEC) has the following test in the switch statement:

    case 0xec:        // identify device
        if (p->sectors != 1 || ndp < 512)
            return -1;

Given that the ATA spec says that the sector register is N/A (as are pretty much all the rest) when making this command I don't know why the blade server requires that submission of this command have AoE ATA command set sector to 1?

I have my suspicions but I would like to hear from others...

David