Re: AoE Target implementaion for LIO?

On Oct 21, 2012, at 9:03 AM, Nicolas Jungers wrote:

> On 2012-10-19 15:19, Ed Cashin wrote:
>> AoE use is accelerating rapidly, and iSCSI persists because even
>> though it's not the best fit for same-LAN data storage, folks can
>> still get it to work if they are willing and able to deal with the
>> complexity, sacrifice the performance, and don't need the kind of
>> scaling that virtualization and cloud deployments require.
>
> I don't think it's a realistic view. I think AoE missed its window of
> opportunity and is now dying. As Tracy said, it's ridiculously easy to
> setup an iSCSI system. It's a pain to get the AoE target up to date in
> any distro, and the initiator, while working, is far from being a well
> behaving component.

Tracy had a good point in that there needs to be more work done to help Linux distros to integrate AoE technology, so that Linux admins have a smooth experience using it.

AoE was probably too far ahead of its time in 2004 and is now coming into its time.  A lot of the adoption lately has been very large scale special-purpose or enterprise installations, and not all of that has been on Linux.  The need driving the CTOs of these highly competitive companies to adopt AoE-based technology is based on real-world trends that really can't be stopped, not based on emotion.  The folks on the aoetools-discuss list won't necessarily know about these AoE-based deployments.

But it's a good thing that Coraid is contributing actively to open source now, and it should help to ease its adoption on Linux-based architectures.  It's open source, though, so although Coraid can be expected to take the lead, there are alternatives to complaining.  ;)

--
  Ed Cashin
  ecashin@xxxxxxxxxx