Re: AoE Target implementaion for LIO?

Hi Tracy,

very thoughtful posting, I've arrived at similar conclusions and I am in
a similar way from an early stage emotionally attached to a protocol of
fine craftsmanship that has potential per se.

In the beginning I've advocated the AoE protocol to be converted into an
RFC, that would have helped in the first place and would have been an
incentive for kernel maintainers to include it earlier and spread the
word. Due but not only attributed to this fact AoE initiator support in
the kernel materialized quite late. IMHO storage stuff belongs into the
kernel, period.
Besides, what benefit does an initiator have without a target
implementation? The two user-space target implementations are dead for
years and lagging behind the AoE specifications due to obvious reasons -
conflict of interests.

Right now we have a proprietary protocol and a single vendor that
supports it with no incentive to have any alternative target
implementations out there. Besides, the very important hypervisor
vendors are not interested in anything beyond iSCSI and FCoE, so why
should they bother to natively support AoE?

Hence I consider it mission impossible to convince clients to bet their
mission-critical storage future on an arguably fine nevertheless exotic
single-vendor product and protocol only based on the price argument. I
am happy that Coraid is doing fine as a niche player though and wish
them all the best for the future.

If you look at a success story how this could have worked out have a
look at DRBD and Linbit.

Regards,
Gernot