Re: kernel amdgpu problems

Am 28.02.22 um 07:43 schrieb Alex fxmbsw7 Ratchev:

On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 12:22 AM Mike Lothian <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 at 10:01, Alex fxmbsw7 Ratchev <fxmbsw7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> i have observed at least two major problems of using amdgpu
>
> 1. cant be built-in instead of module, display stays blank

Are you remembering to add in the firmware to the kernel image too?

i copied all from official linux-firmware.gif to /lib/firmware

That's not sufficient, you need to tell the kernel explicitly which firmware will be needed.

In other words try mentioning everything in /lib/firmware/amdgpu as CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE.

Regards,
Christian.

There's a good guide at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/AMDGPU#Known_firmware_blobs

I've successfully used AMDGPU builtin on Tonga, Raven, Renoir and Navy
Flounder systems

I've never used kexec so have no suggestions for that

it may be back then when i compiled it inline not as module i didnt include firmware in the initrd so that may been that

about kexec, i dunno, X dri doesnt work after first kexec, after second screen at all is blank

driver init problems ..

cheers..