Re: radeon ring 0 test failed on arm64

On 2021-05-25 14:05, Alex Deucher wrote:
On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 8:56 AM Peter Geis <pgwipeout@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 8:47 AM Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 8:42 AM Peter Geis <pgwipeout@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Good Evening,

I am stress testing the pcie controller on the rk3566-quartz64 prototype SBC.
This device has 1GB available at <0x3 0x00000000> for the PCIe
controller, which makes a dGPU theoretically possible.
While attempting to light off a HD7570 card I manage to get a modeset
console, but ring0 test fails and disables acceleration.

Note, we do not have UEFI, so all PCIe setup is from the Linux kernel.
Any insight you can provide would be much appreciated.

Does your platform support PCIe cache coherency with the CPU?  I.e.,
does the CPU allow cache snoops from PCIe devices?  That is required
for the driver to operate.

Ah, most likely not.
This issue has come up already as the GIC isn't permitted to snoop on
the CPUs, so I doubt the PCIe controller can either.

Is there no way to work around this or is it dead in the water?

It's required by the pcie spec.  You could potentially work around it
if you can allocate uncached memory for DMA, but I don't think that is
possible currently.  Ideally we'd figure out some way to detect if a
particular platform supports cache snooping or not as well.

There's device_get_dma_attr(), although I don't think it will work currently for PCI devices without an OF or ACPI node - we could perhaps do with a PCI-specific wrapper which can walk up and defer to the host bridge's firmware description as necessary.

The common DMA ops *do* correctly keep track of per-device coherency internally, but drivers aren't supposed to be poking at that information directly.

Robin.