Re: Intermittent errors when using amdgpu_job_submit_direct

On 2019-07-09 8:58 a.m., Zhou, David(ChunMing) wrote:
> I've raised it up when Christian make page fault, at that patch,
> amdgpu_job_submit_direct uses exclusive page fault ring for that.
>
> But if you use amdgpu_job_submit_direct for gerneral rings ocuppied by
> scheduler, I guess varias bugs will happen.

The problem is, even the paging ring is used by the scheduler. There are
several places where buffer operations are submitted to the paging ring
through the scheduler. That makes any use of the paging ring through
direct submission problematic.

Even ignoring the scheduler, if it's possible that multiple threads
submit to the paging ring, we'll need locking to ensure that the
contents of the ring remain consistent. IIRC, the rings used to have
locking before we had a GPU scheduler. For comparison, see
radeon_ring.c, which still has locking. With the GPU scheduler, the
rings became single-producer queues that no longer needed locking. But
with direct submission that is no longer true. I think a good place to
do that locking now would be in amdgpu_ib_schedule.

Regards,
   Felix