Re: amdgpu multi monitor - clock, heat and power problem

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 6:50 PM Rigo Reddig <rigo.reddig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have 2 Gigabyte RX580's in my desktop workstation.
>
> I'm running Arch Linux with KDE Plasma on the 5.0.6 kernel.
>

> The cards themselves work fine, except,
>
> I have two 1080p HDMI monitors plugged into one of these cards.
>
> One in a native HDMI port, one in a passive DVI->HDMI adapter.
>

> This causes the following problem for idle usage:
>

> 1. Memory clock is effectively locked at 200Mhz always
>
> 2. Core clock is constantly at high frequency P-state
>
> 3. Temperatures are increased
>
> 4. Power consumption is increased (significantly)
>
> 5. PCI bus is always at full speed
>
> 6. Forcing core clock to 300Mhz, uses a higher than usual voltage
>

> Below is an excerpt from the rocm-smi utility for the automatic defaults
>
> (I have omitted overclock and powercap values for formatting purposes)
>

> 2 Monitors connected to GPU 0, No monitors connected to GPU 1
>
> ROCm System Management Interface

> GPU Temp AvgPwr SCLK MCLK PCLK Fan Perf GPU%
>
> 0 44.0c 36.193W 1145Mhz 2000Mhz 8.0GT/s, x16 40.0% auto 0%
>
> 1 37.0c 28.104W 300Mhz 300Mhz 2.5GT/s, x8 0.0% auto 0%

> End of ROCm SMI Log
>

> GPU 0 is idle and yet running SCLK and MCLK at unnecessary power levels
>
> GPU 1 is truly idle
>
> Regarding GPU 0 temperature, I have actually setup a daemon to run the fan at a consistent rate to prevent it from constantly peaking.

> 1 Monitors connected to GPU 0, No monitors connected to GPU 1
>
> ROCm System Management Interface

> GPU Temp AvgPwr SCLK MCLK PCLK Fan Perf GPU%
>
> 0 36.0c 28.103W 300Mhz 300Mhz 2.5GT/s, x8 0.0% auto 0%
>
> 1 37.0c 28.104W 300Mhz 300Mhz 2.5GT/s, x8 0.0% auto 0%

> 2 Monitors connected to GPU 0, No monitors connected to GPU 1
>

> 2 Monitors connected to GPU 0, No monitors connected to GPU 1
>
> ROCm System Management Interface

> GPU Temp AvgPwr SCLK MCLK PCLK Fan Perf GPU%
>
> 0 44.0c 31.086W 300Mhz 2000Mhz 2.5GT/s, x8 40.0% low 0%
>
> 1 37.0c 28.104W 300Mhz 300Mhz 2.5GT/s, x8 0.0% low 0%

> Peculiarly even with low power state forced, the GPU runs at a voltage (950mV) in excess of what is required for 300Mhz (750mV)

> cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/amdgpu_pm_info jupiter: Mon Apr 8 21:57:29 2019
>

> Clock Gating Flags Mask: 0x3fbcf
>
> Graphics Medium Grain Clock Gating: On
>
> Graphics Medium Grain memory Light Sleep: On
>
> Graphics Coarse Grain Clock Gating: On
>
> Graphics Coarse Grain memory Light Sleep: On
>
> Graphics Coarse Grain Tree Shader Clock Gating: Off
>
> Graphics Coarse Grain Tree Shader Light Sleep: Off
>
> Graphics Command Processor Light Sleep: On
>
> Graphics Run List Controller Light Sleep: On
>
> Graphics 3D Coarse Grain Clock Gating: Off
>
> Graphics 3D Coarse Grain memory Light Sleep: Off
>
> Memory Controller Light Sleep: On
>
> Memory Controller Medium Grain Clock Gating: On
>
> System Direct Memory Access Light Sleep: Off
>
> System Direct Memory Access Medium Grain Clock Gating: On
>
> Bus Interface Medium Grain Clock Gating: Off
>
> Bus Interface Light Sleep: On
>
> Unified Video Decoder Medium Grain Clock Gating: On

> [...]

When multiple monitors are active, mclk dpm is disabled and the mclk
is set to the highest.  This is because mclk switching has to happen
during vblank to avoid artifacts and flickering on the display when it
happens.  With multiple monitors, the vblank periods don't necessarily
overlap so mclk cannot be switched with out flickering or artifacts.
Sclk dpm should still work however and should go to the lowest sclk
state when the GPU is idle even with multiple monitors.

Alex