AMD Radeon out of memory causes system instability.

Apologies if I'm hitting the wrong mailing list. long time user, first time reporter and all that.

recently my system has been suffering from instability with the graphics system. essentially some application on my system is causing oom for graphics memory.
normally I'd just expect a hard crash of the application in such a scenario. instead the system enters a spin loop of command submissions,
slows down dramatically generally resulting in the system freezing up.

There are a couple issues I'd like to point out with the current situation I'm experiencing:

given the error message I believe this line is the source of the log statement.
[drm:amdgpu_cs_ioctl [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Not enough memory for command submission!
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu_cs.c#L1431

Generally I'm wondering if there is anything that can be done to improve the experience for end users in such a scenario.

Ideally the system would nuke the misbehaving process similar to how ram ooms are handled.

but at a minimum I'd like to be able to figure out how to back track this to the misbehaving process. any help in this regard would be appreciated.

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.