Re: Have WX 3200 Radeon graphics card -- cannot get X11 session to work

According to "Deucher, Alexander" <Alexander.Deucher@xxxxxxx> on Fri, 01/26/24 at 15:50:

> [Public]
>
> Kernel driver looks like its loaded properly.
>
> I don't really have much experience with freebsd, but it doesn't seem to be
> able to open the kernel driver.  Perhaps X starts before the kernel driver
> has finished loading?  Can you try and load the kernel driver and then start X?

After sending this and researching the forums some more, I made a few changes
and have had some success, but not quite there yet...

Using what I found in the forums I now have this one file in my
/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory:

unix% cat /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-driver.conf
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Card0"
        Driver          "amdgpu"
        BusID           "PCI:41:0:0"
EndSection

I got to this point today after learning about this the other day:

unix# pciconf -lv | grep -A4 vgapci
vgapci0@pci0:41:0:0:    class=0x030000 rev=0x10 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x1002 device=0x6981 subvendor=0x1002 subdevice=0x0b0d
    vendor     = 'Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]'
    device     = 'Lexa XT [Radeon PRO WX 3200]'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA

I am not loading any relevant modules in my /boot/loader.conf file.

This line was added to my /etc/rc.conf file:

   kld_list="amdgpu"

I felt the amdgpu driver would support my WX 3200 (RS780) graphics card,
and after a reboot, I was proved correct.  Previously I was starting my
x11 session using the "startx" command from the vt0 virtual terminal.

Just minutes ago I logged into the virtual terminal vt2 on this system
as a non-root user.  There I entered the "startx" command and I was
completly surprised by the beautiful x11 session that appeared!!!

Unfortunately, the mouse pointer is frozen at the exact center of the
3440 x 1440 monitor, and it will not move.  I don't know how to fix
this.  Any help or ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

--
William Bulley
E-MAIL: web@xxxxxxxxx