Re: Merging the new firmware files for CA0132 into alsa-firmware

On 5/28/19 11:38 AM, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
Dne 28. 05. 19 v 16:54 Takashi Iwai napsal(a):
Hi,

it seems that Connor's previous attempt to put a couple of ca0132
firmware files into linux-firmware tree didn't go through,
unfortunately.  And now I'm thinking of taking them into alsa-firmware
package as a stop-gap.  We already distribute other ca0132 firmware
files, so the addition shouldn't be a big problem.

Jaroslav, what do you think?

No problem. The same situation is for the SoC SOF firmware files (drivers are
in kernel, firmware files are missing). Perhaps, we can release those files
quickly in alsa-firmware and then migrate them slowly to linux-firmware.

for SOF there are 4 cases

1. developers/integrators build from scratch themselves from the public tree.
2. integrators build from scratch with their own secret sauce added.
3. distros want a binary since they don't want to build from source and/or don't have access to all the DSP tools 4. distros needs a binary signed with the Intel production key (e.g. to run on devices initially designed for Windows).

So far we were mostly dealing with case 1. Case 2 is allowed by the SOF permissive license and there's no need to look into this. We are planning releases for the last two cases, with a cadence aligned with kernel updates. It's not fully clear to me if the linux-firmware tree is the 'right' solution since ideally we'd want to have firmware, topology and UCM files released at the same time.