Re: ALSA 1.1.8 Release - POLLRDNORM undefined

On 1/9/2019 3:10 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 18:00:18 +0100,
Jay Foster wrote:
I am attempting to build the 1.1.8 release of alsa-utils and getting
an error about POLLRDNORM (and others) undefined.  This error comes
from axfer/waiter-select.c.  axfer/waiter-select.c includes
"waiter.h", which includes "poll.h".  This build is for a linux
target.

poll.h includes sys/poll.h which includes bits/poll.h, which only
defines POLLRDNORM (and others) when __USE_XOPEN is defined (which it
is not).

However, linux/poll.h includes asm/poll.h which includes
asm-generic/poll.h which does define POLLRDNORM (and others).

Should I change my build to define__USE_XOPEN or should I patch
waiter.h to include linux/poll.h instead of just poll.h?
Which libc are you using?  The POSIX man page (man poll.h) mentions
POLLRDNORM defined there, at least, on my system with glibc 2.27.

thanks,

Takashi

This is a legacy ARM product using glibc 2.9.  Neither of the approaches I mentioned above actually worked.  <linux/poll.h> is the kernel headers, which results in a duplicate definition of struct pollfds.  The other approach (I added 'CFLAGS=-D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500' to the make command line, and other variations) failed elsewhere due to missing or mismatched function prototypes (ref <features.h>).

I got this to work by patching axfer/waiter.h to add the missing defintions, based on those found in <asm-generic/poll.h>.

Jay