Re: Subwoofers aren't working on ALC298 (Lenovo Yoga C930 Laptop)

Hi Daniel,

I'm guessing I shouldn't assign this pin to LFE, then? And maybe assign
it to "internal speaker (back)"? I'm at a loss for knowing what to
assign to what.

But this is all moot, since the real problem, it seems to me, is that clicking "apply now" or "install boot override" won't work on NixOS. The first issue is that `hdajackretask` apparently can't find my copies of `tee` and `mv`. I can run these programs just fine from a shell, and
`which tee` shows their locations in NixOS:
`/run/current-system/sw/bin/tee`, but `hdajackretask` can't find them, for some reason, and `Apply now` fails. The second is that, even if I
run run the /tmp script manually, nothing seems to change with my
system. I have a feeling `hdajackretask` needs to do something beyond what is in the `/tmp` script, and that it can't do that, since it can't
find my system utilities.

Thanks for that link, though—there's some useful stuff in there.

Are there other ways of connecting unused pins that don't use
hdajackretask? Like a script I can run or a sequence of commands?

Best,

Jonathan

Daniel James <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hi Jonathan,

- Running hdajackretask, from the alsaTools package. It seems to correctly recognize that there are some unassigned pins, and even gives me the option of assigning them to "internal speaker (LFE)," which sounds like it could be a
bass output.

LFE usually stands for Low Frequency Effects, i.e. a subwoofer channel on a
movie or game. There are some tips on surround sound at
http://www.volkerschatz.com/noise/alsa.html

I don't know which 'md' program they are referring to, but you can install tee
separately.

Cheers!

Daniel