Re: [USB-Audio - PX USB, playback] snd-usb-audio: probe of 2-3:1.0 failed with error -22 after kernel upgrade

On Sun, 28 Oct 2018 22:00:35 +0100,
Mutz Heuer wrote:

> USB-Audio Connection on Bowers & Wilkens PX Bluetooth Headphones started
> working when upgrading kernel from 4.13 to 4.15 series. Then it suddenly
> stopped working again on newer kernels. The bug report has been generated
> on the latest working mainline kernel 4.15.7. All newer kernels have some
> usb quirks in place, which should fix the playback sample rates to 48 kHz.
> The quirk seems not to be working correctly - it seems to hinder the audio
> system to recognize the USB-device as a sound device.
>
> The Headphones work on kernels before 4,15.7 when manually configuring
> pulseaudio to a default samplerate of 48 kHz.
>
> PX Headphones are on the newest firmware level.
>
> See https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10265345/. Dropping that patch and
> recompiling the kernel leads to a situation where alsa and pulseaudio seem
> to to be working again.
>
> Adding
>
>       default-sample-rate = 48000
>
> to /etc/pulse/daemon.conf leads to working headphones.
>
> Maybe the patch has to be adjusted to newer firmware? A quirk seems to be
> really necessary to avoid the specific patch to daemon.conf.
>

> More details can be found in
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1773697
> What would be the best way to proceed?

Could you check the latest Linus git tree (or for-linus branch of
sound git tree)?  The workaround for the buggy firmware was already
included there.  Let me know if it still doesn't suffice.

thanks,

Takashi