Re: Tascam FW-1884 driver

Hi,
(C.C.ed to alsa-devel, ffado-devel and Scott)

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018, Cédric Mialaret wrote:
I stumbled up the source code of a linux driver for the Tascam FW-1884 audio interface:

https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v4.19-rc8/source/sound/firewire/tascam/tascam.c

 a. Does it work ?

It, ALSA firewire-tascam driver, works for systems in which Linux kernel is used. It's already included in Linux kernel source since kernel v4.4.

 b. Does it implement all functionalities of the FW-1884 ?

As of kernel v4.19, it supports below functionalities:
 - data transmission for PCM frames via ALSA PCM interface
 - data transmission for MIDI messages via ALSA rawmidi interface

Recently I got Scott's help and work to support handling control messages from faders/knobs/buttons on control surface of FW-1884/FW-1082. You can see recent patches in my remote repository: - https://github.com/takaswie/snd-firewire-improve/tree/topic/tascam-userspace-take3
 - https://github.com/takaswie/libhinawa/tree/topic/tascam-userspace-take3

You can see our discussion in list:
- http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2018-October/140593.html

 c. Is this the original code from Tascam/Frontier Design?

Apparently, no. It comes from my work for reverse engineering, by sniffing packet communications over IEEE 1394 bus.

 d. Do you by any chance have the source code of the Windows driver ?

I have no such chance, as well as the others.

Regards

Takashi Sakamoto