external mic not recognized on Acer Aspire E 15 (E5-573-55U8)

Hi wonderful ALSA devs,

Wondering if you could help me out. I inherited this laptop and put Linux Mint 18.1 on it, and would really appreciate it if there were some way to eventually get an external mic working on it, because the internal one is naturally pretty noisy, which makes it hard to use this machine for professional meetings.

Hopefully it's not against list policy to simply link elsewhere: the details are all available at http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/355552/external-headset-mic-not-listed-in-linux-mint-18-1-64-bit-on-acer-aspire-e-15 . I tried getting into patching the drivers myself, but I didn't make it too far.

BTW I would just report a bug with the bug tracker, but the Bug Tracker link in the sidebar of http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page leads to https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug which gives a Not Found error page.

Anyway please let me know what I can do to help facilitate by getting further info from my machine here.

Thanks very much,
Kev