Alsa Application using the "default" plugin

Hi everyone,

I have created an ALSA audio application which works fine for any kind of hardware device (all devices addressed by "hw:n,m").

Today, I planned to implement the functionality to also address plugins. My test case is the "default" plugin.
When using this, I see significant differences:

1) Function "snd_pcm_hw_params_any" returns a value of 1. For hardware devices it returns 0. There is no documentation of the return type from that function. What does the 1 say? 2) I want to simultaneously capture and playback. Therefore I call "snd_pcm_link". This function fails with the error saying that this function is not implemented. Is that the intended behavior and how would I synchronize input and output? What I do to fix this is to start input and output ("snd_pcm_start") independently if "snd_pcm_link" fails. 3) The program stops working on the second call to "snd_pcm_writei": The function call simply never returns. I guess that the pcm output interface does not run at this moment and the output buffer has been completely filled before.

All other functions calls work as expected but the described behavior prevents the application from working properly. And - to repeat - the same code works for all hardware soundcards "hw:n,m" which I tested.

What is the recommended way to address the "default" plugin pcm device?

Best regards

Hauke