Question about device recovery when under/over run error case

Hi Mark

Our sound device needs recovery if under/over run error happen.
Basically, this "recovery" means "restart hardware".
But, in such case, who should recovers sound device, Kernel or Userland ?

Current our sound driver recovers it by kernel automatically.
(But I need do work more for it)

We considered that userland should know it, or, run it by himself (?)
If userland should do it, which function should be called to announce
error to userland from kernel ?