Re: Headphone Mic and PA

On 2015-10-19 14:36, Takashi Iwai wrote:
On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 13:20:21 +0200,
David Henningsson wrote:

On 2015-10-19 11:53, Takashi Iwai wrote:
Hi David,

I'm currently checking the bug report regarding PA, and this looks
like an issue with "Headphone Mic" jack control.

The reported problem is that PA doesn't react properly when both HP
and dock line-out jacks are plugged and line-out is unplugged.  The
machine in question is Dell E7250, and I see that it has only
"Headphone Mic Jack" kctl without "Headphone Jack" kctl.  Is this the
intentional behavior?

Yes. The "Headphone Mic Jack" indicates that the jack can be used to
indicate either "Headphone" or "Mic".

Hm, OK, that was the trick.  But now I wonder whether this was a right
choice.  Maybe a more straightforward way (from user-space POV) would
have been to create two jack ctls (Headphone and Headphone Mic) and
notify both of them.

Not so sure about that. Then you might get two events, and userspace needs to synchronise them, and then understand that it's about the same jack.

I think the current solution is better.

The additional "Headset Mic
Phantom Jack" indicates that headset is a third usage for the jack and
there is no hardware that can detect which one of them it is. So it
looks correct to me.

Also the Dell E7250 is Ubuntu certified, but I don't think docking
stations are part of that certification suite (at least not for Dell E7250).

I skimmed through the opensuse bug as well. Two notes:

   1) Here's a guide of how to generate a PA log, avoiding the autospawn
problem: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio/Log

Yeah, but I didn't want to let user touching the config, as people
often forget to revert :)  But maybe it's better to mention it,
judging from the people's reaction.

   2) There is a patch series in the pipeline [2] that Tanu has promised
to review, that makes module-switch-on-port-available more aggressive w
r t being able to reroute away from unavailable things. I suspect it
would help here, but I'm not completely sure.

The last unplug event in the log shows

D: [pulseaudio] module-alsa-card.c: Jack 'Dock Line Out Jack' is now unplugged
D: [pulseaudio] device-port.c: Setting port analog-output-lineout to status no
D: [pulseaudio] device-port.c: Setting port analog-output-speaker to status unknown

and no activation happened to analog-output-speaker.  So, yes, your
patchset might cure this.  But I wonder why this happens only with the
dock line-out and not with normal headphones...

Could be just unlucky ordering perhaps? Does the just pushed patch help?

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/commit/?id=91313e60a81e96ce976f24c522656c57b4ab94ca

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic