Re: Gigabyte 880GM-USB3 MIDI and Dolby 5.1/7.1 issues

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 3:52 AM, Clemens Ladisch <clemens@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jonathan Gardner wrote:
>> First, with my older motherboard, I could control the various output
>> and input levels of the channels. With this motherboard, I only have
>> one channel "Internal Audio Analog Stereo".
>
> This looks like PulseAudio's idea of a user-friendly abstraction.
> Try "alsamixer -D hw:0".

Beautiful. That's what I'm looking for.

So should I work with PulseAudio to get their GUI working with my
particular situation?

>> Second, I never really got MIDI working, at least not that I recall in
>> my 10 years of Linux. I know MIDI is possible, I just don't know what
>> it takes. I've been playing with musescore which apparently plays the
>> notes over MIDI so you can hear what you wrote, which would be nice.
>
> Your mainboard doesn't support MIDI, but I guess you don't have any
> external MIDI devices anyway.
>
> To play back MIDI data, you need some synthesizer.  Try FluidSynth.

I'm playing around with qsynth and pianobooster. No success with sound
yet, but I'm keeping notes.

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx