Re: Alsamixertest

On 2010-10-04 14:01, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> David Henningsson wrote:
>> On 2010-10-02 04:11, Raymond Yau wrote:
>>> It seem that the program keep complain about those controls without dB scale
>>> (e.g. AC97 3D Control - depth and rear depth , .) with the emulated intel8x0
>>> driver  and no volume control with the emulated sb16 in virtualbox
>>
>> It's a righteous warning if you ask me - all volume controls should
>> provide dB information,
>
> But "3D Depth" and some other controls are not volume controls and are
> not measured in dB.
>
>> or we don't know what they actually do.
>
> Where "we" = "generic software like PA".  Non-standard controls can be
> controlled only by hardware-specific tools or by the user.

Exactly, this is a test tool that checks whether the mixer control names
and dB information live up to PulseAudio's expectations. That's the
tool's purpose.

Given some thought, perhaps the application warning should be removed.
It might be that it should only require dB information for the controls
it actually wants to test (i e Master, PCM etc)...what do you think?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic