Acer Aspire 7736: headphone jack not working (was: ALSA Help?)

Dear Matthew,

Am Montag, den 12.07.2010, 09:22 -0400 schrieb Matthew Hudson:

> I posted similar messages to the alsa-user mail list and to ubuntu forums (
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1528442 ), but haven't been able to
> get help. Could any of you help with this?

I do *not* know a lot either. :(

> So, I've got a great Acer Aspire 7736. Seems to have a RealTek ALC888 card &
> Intel HDA.
>
> I've upgraded Alsa.
> I've used the Drivers at the RealTek site.
> I've checked alsamixer over and over and over.
>
> Yet, currently I cannot get sound through the headphone jack.
>
> Originally, I had problems w/ headphone/speakers playing simlutaneously.
> Somewhere in my adventures I fixed that, but then only one app would use
> sound during a login (UGH). So, I kept poking...as all good linux users
> do...now I'm afraid I've totally wonked it.
>
> I'll put all pertinent alsa-info up here for anyone who will help!!
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=58850a92a9ea0edbf28a8d014a875cdbd81b621d
>
> I guess I'm bright enough to really mess it up, but dumb enough not to have
> a clue how to fix it.
> It has NEVER been able to recognize a headphone plugged in the jack
> automatically. I hope someone knows...

I do not thin the RealTek drivers are recommended. Can you try some Live
CD of some distribution and test different module parameters as
described in [1]?

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Help_To_Debug_Intel_HDA