Still unhappy with removal of DXS controls

[Sorry if this is a duplicate -- I was too stupid to subscribe the first
time and my mail hasn't been moderated yet, apparently.]

Me again...

Referring to the issue I described on 2010-03-28
[http://www.spinics.net/lists/alsa-devel/msg32731.html], the situation
hasn't changed since then.

In short, I *really* need to lower the DXS volumes in order to play
sound properly.  If I don't do it, I get massive distortion.

It's not a matter of the output stage, but of the input stage.  Lowering
PCM or Master doesn't help anything, but using softvol in mplayer does
(I need to get down to 20%, so I effectively hear 14-bit audio, nice...).

Back in March, Clemens told me to use hwmixvolume.  It's nice, I can now
access what I could previously access in alsamixer.  But when I close
the audio stream and start a new one, the volume is reset to 100% --
blowing my ears with loud and distorted sound.

So my solution for now is: stick with Linux 2.6.30...

Please, even if the solution with the DXS controls in alsamixer didn't
comply with the ALSA policies, *it did work*!  The current one *does
not*.  Maybe make the maximum (or default?) DXS volume available as a
mixer control or as a module option or something -- whatever you
consider the best solution.  But the current state is just not acceptable.

Thanks

Sören