Re: Want to test a patch

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Chris Schumann<chris.schumann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:> Hello all,>> I was hoping to get involved to fix als bug #305 and related ones, but> I see Takashi Iwai has beaten me to it. Awesome.>> I'd like to test his patch of 5-27 for snd_cs46xx but I haven't done> driver development before.>> How do I test out this patch on my hardware (ThinkPad 600X)?
Testing a patch is quite easy.
If you are an Ubuntu user, you can try the instructions athttps://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowtoand specifically the script mentioned in the section “Update to theLatest Version of ALSA”.
With this script and the instructions from the wiki page,1. you can install all required packages that are needed to compilethe latest Alsa2. you can apply a new patch (you do this manually), recompile andtest without having to reboot.3. you can revert to the previous state
The script downloads by default the followingftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-snapshot.tar.gzI suppose this is the one you need with the latest version.