Re: alsa license question

At Wed, 04 Feb 2009 10:07:58 +0100,
Tim Blechmann wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i am currently working on an alsa driver for the digigram lx6464es
> interface, based on the sources of the windows driver.
>
> since i would like to include some parts of the windows source code,
> (mainly the header files with register declarations) to the alsa driver,
> i have a few question:
> - is it ok, if these files don't match the coding style of the linux kernel?

Please follow the standard coding style as much as possible.

> - digigram assured, that i am allowed to include source code to the
> linux driver. most of the files have the copyright notice:
> COPYRIGHT (some year) DIGIGRAM. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
> is this statement ok, or do i need to replace the `ALL RIGHTS RESERVED'
> with a gpl-compatible license note?

I think it's better to replace that text to avoid any confusion and
worries by other people in future.  Not a requirement, but it should
be in a form to give no doubt.

> - is there any repository for alsa driver documentation, provided by the
> manufacturer? digigram provided the windows driver for the lx6464es,
> mentioning that this source is `freely accessible to the GNU / ALSA
> community', so if there is a repository like that, the source package
> should probably be archived there.

We can put the stuff in ftp server of alsa-project.org.
It's Jaroslav's call, though.

thanks,

Takashi