Re: ice1712 error

At Fri, 19 Dec 2008 17:21:44 +0100,
Udo van den Heuvel wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Fri, 19 Dec 2008 17:00:43 +0100,
> > Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> >> Thanks for the info.
> >>
> >> There is 4G of RAM in the box.
> >> I can boot with mem=2048000K and still get the error every like I
> >> described. (sometimes it is in error, sometimes it is OK)
> >>
> >> Do I need to remove SIMMs to test?
> >>
> >> What could I do?
> >
> > It doesn't always mean there are too little memory.  4GB is definitely
> > enough for the operation.
> >
> > You should figure out which function returns -ENOMEM error in the
> > probe callback.
>
> How can I do that?
> Please let me know which file I need to modify.
> I can build a test-kernel and see waht happens then.

Well, my bet is snd_card_new().  It returns NULL when something is
wrong, and the driver returns -ENOMEM no matter which error was.
Usually when this happens you'll have some error messages
(e.g. "cannot find the slot...") or so.

Build with the debug option CONFIG_SND_DEBUG=y, at least.  If you are
building from alsa-driver tarball, pass --with-debug=full configure
option.

Takashi