simplest volume control possible

I'm looking at the dapm.txt documentation, and I'm looking at the code
in codecs like wm8753.c, and I'm thinking that all of this is
tremendous overkill for the very simple codec I have. Basically I
don't care about power, the thing can be powered on all the time. I
put a one pulse on a gpio for volume up and a zero pulse on a gpio for
volume down, 0 - 63 pulses though.

Question, then, what would be an appropriate widget to use?