Re: Question: layout of a patchset dependent on another tree

On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 01:43:25PM +0200, Cezary Rojewski wrote:

> I'd like to send changes which do modify the avs-driver but are dependent on
> ACPI/NHLT changes I've recently upstream [1] to Rafael's linux-acpi tree.
> Thanks to Rafael, there's an immutable branch [2] that has all relevant
> commits on the top.

> Should I send both the NHLT+avs changes and have broonie/for-next as a base
> for that or provide only the avs changes and state the dependency within the
> cover-letter? The latter will fail to compile without its dependency
> obviously.

I'd send based on the immutable branch so long as that will merge into
my tree easily enough (doesn't have to be perfect).  If it needs the
immutable branch merging into the ASoC tree first then I'd send based on
that merge with a note in the cover letter explaining this.