Re: Migrating this list to a different platform (take 2)

Hello Konstantin,

On 17. 10. 23 22:25, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
Hello, all:

I'm told that a while back there were some discussions to migrate this list to
vger, but the process never really got finalized.

I would like to restart this discussion again, because I am in the middle of
vger list migrations and it seems like an opportune moment to bring this up.

There are the following benefits to gain after migration:

- it becomes an open list that doesn't require much moderator involvement

I think that it may be the main reason to migrate it. How do you handle the inbound spam? It's the only reason, why our mailing list is moderated.

- the messages are DMARC-compliant when received by subscribers

It seems that the mailman3 operates correctly with a simple fix.

- the infrastructure is supported and monitored by LF IT 24/7

We have no big outages for our mail list right now. The server is monitored in a hosting center, too.

However, there will be the following impacts:

- we can try to set up a forward from the old address, but previous attempts
   to do so with mailman had mixed results
- if the old address is set up to forward mail to the new address, then anyone
   sending to both addresses will get doubles of everything, which can be
   annoying
- setting up a hard bounce at the old address would probably be preferable,
   but it's a "ripping off the bandaid" kind of approach

Ideally, the e-mail address of the list should be preserved, but I guess that an option to redirect DNS MX records to LF servers is not possible, right?

If you are interested in migrating the list, I suggest we move it to
alsa-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and not vger, solely because vger is in the process
of migration itself and it would be easier to use the lists.linux.dev domain
at this stage than to go with vger.kernel.org.

I am happy to provide any more info if you have any questions.

Thank you,
	Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxxx>