Re: Migrating this list to a different platform (take 2)

On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 22:25:27 +0200,
Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:

> Hello, all:
>
> I'm told that a while back there were some discussions to migrate this list to
> vger, but the process never really got finalized.
>
> I would like to restart this discussion again, because I am in the middle of
> vger list migrations and it seems like an opportune moment to bring this up.
>
> There are the following benefits to gain after migration:
>
> - it becomes an open list that doesn't require much moderator involvement
> - the messages are DMARC-compliant when received by subscribers
> - the infrastructure is supported and monitored by LF IT 24/7
>
> However, there will be the following impacts:
>
> - we can try to set up a forward from the old address, but previous attempts
>   to do so with mailman had mixed results
> - if the old address is set up to forward mail to the new address, then anyone
>   sending to both addresses will get doubles of everything, which can be
>   annoying
> - setting up a hard bounce at the old address would probably be preferable,
>   but it's a "ripping off the bandaid" kind of approach
>
> If you are interested in migrating the list, I suggest we move it to
> alsa-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and not vger, solely because vger is in the process
> of migration itself and it would be easier to use the lists.linux.dev domain
> at this stage than to go with vger.kernel.org.
>
> I am happy to provide any more info if you have any questions.
>
> -K

Thanks Konstantin!

I personally find that it'd be a significant improvement to be an open
list; it was often problems that manual approvals took long when
admins are off due to vacation or sickness.

But the whole decision depends on Jaroslav, after all, who has been
administrating the list since the beginning.

Takashi