Re: Why is there no SND_SOC_DAIFMT_TDM bit?

On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 02:59:23PM +0300, Daniel Baluta wrote:

> I wonder why there is no SND_SOC_DAIFMT_TDM format although there
> actual codecs supporting TDM.

> Most of the drivers I see use SND_SOC_DAIFMT_DSP_A or SND_SOC_DAIFMT_DSP_B
> to signal that the format used is TDM.

They're orthogonal things - as you say you can mix TDM with either DSP A
or DSP B style clocking, and there are devices which support TDM with
I2S style clocking too.  They'll put all the left channels sequentially
under the left side of the I2S clock and all the right channels
sequentially under the right side.  The DAI format says what the clocks
look like, the TDM configuration is about how many channels of what
width are being clocked out.