Re: snd_soc_dai_ops.startup called for all codecs

[Adding Mark Brown - ASoC maintainer]

On 7/4/23 14:17, Peter Suti wrote
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to create a sound card which has two codecs associated with
> one DAI. One codec is responsible for playback and the other one for
> capture. I can see in soc-pcm.c that
> __soc_pcm_hw_params() is checking if the stream is valid for the
> current codec with
> snd_soc_dai_stream_valid() and if it isn't it is not calling the
> hw_params() callback.
> But this check is not there in __soc_pcm_open() which calls
> snd_soc_dai_startup() for every codec. Can someone shed some light on
> this? Why is startup() called for codecs that don't support the
> current stream?

We have a similar issue but with the .trigger callback.

We will send a patch when the merge window closes, see
https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/pull/4434

You may need a similar test for the startup?