Re: Audio output heavily distorted on Xen PV dom0 if not recording (Intel ADL)

On Mon, 15 May 2023 17:39:50 +0200,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a rather interesting issue on HP EliteBook 1040, with Intel ADL
> HDA. Sometimes (often) audio output is heavily distorted, but then
> opening pavucontrol or just launching `parecord /dev/null` fixes the issue
> instantly. But, when the mixer or recording is closed, then few seconds
> later issue comes back.
>
> You can hear this at https://cloud.marmarek.net/s/46prqZnwrqDkBdD
> Initially recording was running, then about 10s stopped and you can
> hear the issue few seconds later. Then I starter recording again, and
> the issue is gone.
> This is how it should sound: https://youtube.com/watch?v=4Tr0otuiQuU
> I do not see any kernel messages when issue happens.
>
> The issue happens on Linux 6.1.26, 6.2.10, and 6.3.2. I haven't tested
> other versions. It happens only when running under Xen (in PV dom0). The
> very same Linux started directly works fine. Full dmesg of both native
> and Xen boots is at https://gist.github.com/marmarek/548ee79282446344a172109bcd943930
>
> When running Linux 6.3.2 there, I noticed that just after boot first
> playback is okay, but if I start and stop recording it breaks. And then
> after some time of idle it fixes itself again. I have not observed this
> behavior on 6.2.10 (it was broken initially too), but I could be also
> doing some things differently.
>
> I have few other ADL-based systems (but not HP), and they do not show
> this issue, only this HP laptop is affected. Example dmesg from another
> ADL-based system:
> https://gist.github.com/marmarek/38c5ba3ec58f9300fbc1842ddc9fa4f5
>
> I'm not sure if that's the relevant difference, but comparing dmesg from
> working and not working systems, I see those on boot for the
> problematic case:
>   snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: DSP detected with PCI class/subclass/prog-if info 0x040100
>   snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: Digital mics found on Skylake+ platform, using SOF driver
>   sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: DSP detected with PCI class/subclass/prog-if info 0x040100
>   sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: Digital mics found on Skylake+ platform, using SOF driver
>   sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
>   xen: registering gsi 16 triggering 0 polarity 1
>   Already setup the GSI :16
>   sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: DSP detected with PCI class/subclass/prog-if 0x040100
>   sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: bound 0000:00:02.0 (ops i915_audio_component_bind_ops [i915])
>   sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: use msi interrupt mode
>   sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: hda codecs found, mask 5
>   sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: using HDA machine driver skl_hda_dsp_generic now
>   sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: DMICs detected in NHLT tables: 2
>   sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: Firmware info: version 2:2:0-57864
>   sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: Firmware: ABI 3:22:1 Kernel ABI 3:23:0
> [...]

Could you try to switch to the legacy HD-audio driver (e.g. by passing
snd_intel_dspcfg.dsp_driver=1 option) and check whether the issue
persists or not?  This will narrow down whether it's SOF-specific
problem or not, at least.

thanks,

Takashi