Re: CS4279 and hw_read_t/hw_write_t

On 7/21/08, Timur Tabi <timur@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jon Smirl wrote:
>
>  > You'd have to read the CS4270 datasheet in detail to see if can even
>  > be hooked up to an smbus controller. smbus is a subset of full i2c.
>

> There's no mention of SM Bus anywhere in the CS4270 datasheet.  Can I assume
>  that it won't work?

SMBus devices will work on an i2c controller. But i2c devices won't
always work on a smbus controller. i2c is a superset of smbus, it can
do things smbus can't.

SMbus (system management bus) is usually used for simple things like
fan and temperature monitors.

>From wikipedia on i2c:
"Pure I²C systems support arbitrary message structures. SMBus is
restricted to nine of those structures, such as "read word N" and
"write word N", involving a single slave."

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx