read function

Hi,

    I am trying to understand how aloop interacts with alsa. I
understand that the interface between alsa and a driver is an audio
buffer and pointers, offsets inside this buffer. However, I can't
discover where these pointers are being used. In pcm_lib.c I inserted
some debug messages in read/write functions, but they are never called.
My question is: how is that the snd_pcm_readi, for example, from
libasound reaches the driver.

Thanks.