Re: Setting format to SND_PCM_FORMAT_MU_LAW does not let me apply hardware parameters

Mitul Sen (misen) wrote:
> Hi Stan,
>
> Thanks for all your help! I have some more questions though...
>
> I downloaded the source code for alsa-lib-1.0.15
> Based on the code, if the format is SND_PCM_FORMAT_MU_LAW, I am not sure
> why it does a get/put index to SND_PCM_FORMAT_S16 Also, if the stream is
> SND_PCM_STREAM_PLAYBACK, then I would think that it should decode the
> data. Why does it call snd_pcm_mulaw_decode function if the format is
> SND_PCM_FORMAT_MU_LAW and snd_pcm_mulaw_encode otherwise. I have an
> Intel HDA soundcard and according to the specs, it should support PCM
> ulaw format.
>
> All ALSA documentation and examples I have come across use specific
> hw_params (like sample rate of 44100, SND_PCM_FORMAT_S16, 2 channel
> interleaved data). According to the documents, hw_params refer to the
> stream related info so that's the reason I tried to change it to that of
> mu-law (sampling rate of 8000 Hz, SND_PCM_FORMAT_MU_LAW etc). Not sure
> if that's the way to do it though. Based on the code it looks like the
> hardware just seems to support SND_PCM_FORMAT_S16. Any pointers to help
> me better understand the ALSA code would be much appreciated.

Hi Misen,

First, a gentle remonstrance.  You probably have noticed that I always
put my responses after or mixed with your message.  On public mailing
lists this is considered good form, rather than posting your response at
the top of the message.  Why?  So that anyone who steps into the
interaction doesn't have to read the messages out of order and that
future searchers have an easier time understanding the message.  While
top posting is the norm in communications between two or a few people
because the context is familiar to all and it saves time not to have to
look for the response, on a public mailing list that isn't necessarily true.

Now to the matter at hand.
I had never heard of mu law so I looked it up.
http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/fdd/fdd000039.shtml
Standard companding algorithm used in digital communications systems in
North America and Japan (telephones, for the most part) to optimize the
dynamic range of an analog signal (generally a voice) for digitizing,
i.e., to compress 16 bit LPCM
<http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/fdd/fdd000011.shtml> (Linear
Pulse Code Modulated) data down to 8 bits of logarithmic data. See also
Notes
<http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/fdd/fdd000039.shtml#notes>
below. µ-Law is similar to the A-Law
<http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/fdd/fdd000038.shtml>
algorithm used in Europe.

The code that you extracted below is designed to convert mu law from the
compressed form back into the 16 bit signed form.  I haven't checked the
rest of the code myself, but it appears to assume that the sound device
is incapable of internal conversion.  If that is true, you shouldn't
have to specify anything else to the library except mu law.  It should
take care of everything else. i.e.  as soon as you specify mu law, it is
known that the stream is 8 bit mono that has to be uncompressed to 16
bit mono.   I presume that is why there is the error when you try to set
the hardware parms with mu law.  The library should probably be modified
to use this new capability of sound device internal conversion for mu
law if it is available on the sound device.  Maybe it already does;  as
I said I haven't looked at the code, and I'm not really familiar with mu
law.

So, given my ignorance, my explanation and proposed solution might be
completely wrong.  :-)  Perhaps a developer familiar with the coding of
mu law will give a better explanation.

At this point, I really don't have more to offer for your problem.  I
would have to look at the code to decipher it in order to give an
answer.  You might as well do that yourself, as you will get a better
understanding than I could give with an explanation.