Simple card and PLL/FLL

Hello,
I want to understand what is the right way to implement PLL/FLL usage on audio codec when using simple-card. In wm8904 driver I found that FLL is used if set_sysclk is called (that means mclk-fs property is set, otherwise it is not called). In this case the frequency passed to set_sysclk is assumed to be the "desired" frequency, the codec read the currently clkrate coming from "cpu" ("clk_get_rate(priv->mclk)") and use these information to program FLL.
In other codec drives I do not find a similar approach.
In general codec register the set_pll function but it is never called by simple-card driver. I guess what is the "right/better" implementation? Have we to add the set_pll call in simple-card? Or have we to add it to e.g. fsl_sai driver? Or, in some way, the wm8904 codec driver is approaching in the right way?

Is there any documentation that explain all of that (I have already looked at Documentation/sound)? Any driver that is considered well written and complete I should use as a reference?

Thanks a lot for your help
Best regards,

Emanuele