Re: hda-intel on Asus M2N-X Plus NVIDIA GeForce 6100/nForce 430 mobo

Nigel Henry wrote:
> I've just built a new machine, and expected problems with the onboard
> soundcard, and also have problems with the onboard NIC, but that's another
> problem, which is resolved by installing my last remaining realtek 8139 PCI
> card.

Is the sound device enabled in BIOS?  And I'm surprised that your NIC
isn't working.  Those are
almost generic these days.
> Anyway the mobo is an Asus M2N-X Plus NVIDIA GeForce 6100/nForce 430, and the
> Southbridge (which appears to handle allsorts of stuff) is MCP61.
>
> the specs for the soundcard from the Asus site are below.
> ALC662 6-Channel High Definition Audio Azalia CODEC
> Support Jack-Sensing, Enumeration, Multi-streaming
> S/PDIF out on back I/O port

Did a search in the driver source and the azalia is mentioned in the
hda-intel.c module.  Using hg snapshot of 20080520.
> This is using the Fedora 8 distro, which has alsa driver 1.0.15, and is
> probably a bit old.

Yeah, probably a good idea to upgrade this.  Did you notice that
jaroslav had just posted the 1.0.17rc2 link?

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Changes_v1.0.17rc1_v1.0.17rc2

> The card is not detected at bootup, but I did a modprobe snd-hda-intel, using
> various model options. the modules were loaded, but a cat /proc/asound/cards
> showed "no soundcards detected"

If you do a search in the dmesg output for intel or hda or snd or alsa
or azalia does anything turn up?
> I don't want to waste too much time on this onboard card, and will probably
> buy a cheap well supported card, just to get some sounds on this new machine.
> All the same I've run the alsa-info.sh script, and the link is below.
>
> http://pastebin.ca/1048647
The modules showing here are not from bootup, but are manually installed?