timer + snd_pcm_period_elapsed

Hi,

In my driver, i see that first my copy function is called some 4 times. Then
my timer starts (when trigger->start is reached). In my timer function,
snd_pcm_period_elapsed is called after the period is considered to be
processed by hardware. Everytime the period_elapsed function is called,
inturn my pointer function is called but i get the following error. can
anyone help as to what i am missing to do?

aplay: pcm_write:1266: write error: Input/output error

Can anyone hint me what i am doing wrong?

--
-Harsha