Re: ACPI REV override for Dell XPS 13 9343

On 6/13/22 05:53, Cezary Rojewski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It's been a while since catpt-driver [1] has been introduced to provide
> full support for Broadwell (BDW) machines with Intel DSP. For BDW, audio
> devices can make use of DSP only in I2S mode. In 2015 Rafael and Dominik
> provided quirk [2] for Dell XPS 13 9343. Given the description:
>
> _For example, based on what ACPI exports as the supported revision, Dell
> XPS 13 (2015) configures its audio device to either work in HDA mode or
> in I2S mode, where the former is supposed to be used on Linux until the
> latter is fully supported (in the kernel as well as in user space)._
>
> It's clear that such configuration was not fully supported back then. I
> believe now it is. Perhaps it is time to let the quirk in mention go? By
> that I mean just the relevant entry, not the ACPI_REV_OVERRIDE_POSSIBLE
> functionality as a whole.

This should be a distribution or power-user decision to enable the I2S
version IMHO.

There is nothing new in terms of functionality with the I2S version, so
limited added-value that doesn't offset the added risk due to the
dependencies on mixer settings that may or may not be installed (UCM, etc).

If it ain't broke don't fix it.