Re: What does 0dB refer to? (Logitech USB Speakers)

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mon, 14.04.08 22:07, James Courtier-Dutton (James@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

[snip]
> So, what does this mean for the task I initially wanted to get done,
> i.e. to find some way to initialize mixers properly so that they are
> not fully unmuted? Nothing good.

Why not open a dialog when encountering a device for which there is no
existing asound.state or equivalent pulseaudio file?  Something like
"This sound device has not been used on this machine before.  Therefore
the volume is muted.  Hit enter to go to alsamixer to adjust the volume
to the level you want".  Then bring up alsamixer for the device, and
when it exits write an asound.state.  And a pulseaudio version so if you
see the device again, you don't have to ask.  Or instead of alsamixer,
you could just bring up the window manager volume adjustment app, or
your own volume adjustment app.  No guessing, no problem.